2021 Summer Program
& COVID-19 Response
While things are improving with regard to COVID-19, much care still needs to be taken. Here are some important announcements relating to how The Clearing is currently planning to open for classes in July:
• The Clearing will not require everyone who comes for a class to be vaccinated, but do very much hope that everyone who does come, and who had the opportunity to be vaccinated, took advantage of it.
• If you have not been vaccinated by the time you come for a class, please consider having a COVID-19 test done beforehand.
• If you are experiencing any of the symptoms related to COVID-19 infection, please stay home. All class cancellations this year will include a full refund of any payment made for a class.
• We will not assign roommates for those who wish to register for a dorm or for a double room. Those wishing to be in a dorm or double room must arrange their own roommate(s)—someone with whom they are comfortable rooming—or plan to register for a single room.
• Everyone will be required to wear face coverings and to social distance at all times in all classrooms.
• There will be hand sanitizer at the entrance to each classroom building, the Root Cellar, the Lodge and the Jensen Center.
• Sanitizing wipes for high-touch surfaces will be present in all classroom restrooms and in the Root Cellar restroom.
• All furnaces at The Clearing have had ionization type air purifiers installed that are proven to be effective in deactivating the COVID-19 virus, along with other viruses, bacteria and molds.
• We have set a maximum number for people allowed in classrooms—students and instructors combined. For most classrooms, in order to allow for recommended social distancing, this number is lower than the number of people we were able to accommodate in classrooms in the past.
• When classes commence, rather than gathering for meals in the dining room, we will most likely deliver meals to the lodging rooms, as we have done for Clearing Retreats since June of 2020. Family-style meals in the dining room will only resume when we are confident that it is safe to do so.
• If we do not gather for meals in the dining room, commuters may eat their meals, socially distanced in the Lodge, when weather conditions do not allow them to eat outside.
• For any week during which meals are being delivered to the lodging rooms, the Lodge will be locked except for during the noon meal from Monday through Friday, and for supper on Sunday and Friday, when only commuters may eat their meal in there.
• For safety reasons, and to simplify cleaning, certain items have been removed from the lodging room. These include pillows, quilts, Afghans, the extra blanket, clothes hangers, ice bucket, personal care products (shampoo, body wash and hand wash), air freshener and the basket that covers the tissue box.
• There are single-serve coffee makers and electric kettles for tea water in the guest rooms. The refrigerator in the Root Cellar may be used by guests. However, the ice machine is not available.
• Any information regarding changes to the class experience made necessary by COVID-19 will be posted on The Clearing’s website, www.theclearing.org, will be sent in future emails, will be included in class confirmation letters and will be included in the letters sent to students two weeks prior to their arrival at The Clearing.